Emissions reduction targets
To continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets. We aim to reduce our carbon emissions from Scope 1 and 2 emissions to achieve NetZero by 2040 and will put in place interim targets to ensure sufficient progress is made.
Whilst we are working towards a net zero target, we have seen an increase in our reported carbon emissions of 13.5 tCO2e (a 13% increase) from our base year to the current year. This, however, is not a true representation of the impact of our carbon reduction projects and is a result of having been able to capture data for emission sources, where gaps had previously been identified. Consequently, with the additional emission sources we are unable to report progress against our base year on a like for like basis.
We are aware that there are still some gaps in our reportable scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions and are working to fill these gaps over the next 12 months. This, along with increased manufacturing activity taking place in 2022/23, means we will need to recalculate our baseline and expect to use 2023-24 as our new baseline for Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions.
Once we have a firm baseline established, we intend to bring forward our target date for achieving NetZero from 2040. We will put interim emissions reduction targets in place to ensure that we are on track to achieve our agreed target date.
Progress against these targets can be seen in the graph below:
We aim to reduce carbon emissions over the five years by 20% from our 2023/24 baseline.
In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets.
Carbon Reduction Projects
Completed Carbon Reduction Initiatives
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the 2022 baseline. Whilst we understand these projects have led to a reduction in carbon emissions, we are unable to quantify the extent as we no longer have a like for like scenario. Re-baselining in 2023/24 will enable us to quantify the measures in effect when performing the contract.
Completed carbon reduction initiatives.
The following environmental management measures and projects have been completed or implemented since the start of our baseline year, including:
- Appointed an Environmental Sustainability Lead from within the business to oversee future development in this area.
- Launched an Environmental Policy which outlines our commitment to minimising the negative environmental impact of our activities.
- Initiated the internal Net Zero project. This included gathering data to inform our baseline scope 1, 2 and 3 carbon emissions and production of a more detailed report focused on scope 3 emissions produced through Summit Medicals operational chain.
- Sustained a hybrid approach to working for 50% of our staff, which supports homeworking and brings a reduction in the amount of carbon generated through employee commuting.
- Facilitated the recycling and re-use of 110 items of network hardware since November 2021.
- Had environmental considerations as a priority for refurbished offices including reusing and recycling furniture.
- Offer support to all employees through a cycle to work scheme, with salary sacrifice available to support the purchase of a bicycle and provided facilities at offices including bike storage and shower.
- Provided guidance for our members on understanding the impact of digital carbon footprint and support them in improving their environmental sustainability and plans towards net zero.
- The company has incentivised the selection of electric powered vehicles for use as company vehicles.
Planned Carbon Reduction Initiatives
Over the next 12 months we plan to build on our existing knowledge and understanding of our current Emissions by implementing the following projects:
- Identify gaps in scope 1, 2 and 3 reportable carbon emissions. Establish methodology for capturing any missing data sources and recalculate baseline emissions for 2023/24.
- Introduction of electric charging points.
- Develop a route map for achieving net zero to include:
- Achievable Green House Gases (GHG) reduction targets.
- Measure and report progress.
- Identification of cost-effective emission reduction opportunities and commitment to deliver these.
- Identification and management of climate-related risks to our business.
- Set organisation-wide carbon emissions reduction targets supported by interim targets.
- Set product level carbon emissions reduction targets and recommending that these are embedded into performance management goals for product owners.
- Provide Carbon literacy training to key staff.
- Investigate and improve waste streams, aiming for a 100% no wate to landfill business.
- Explore the potential for how carbon offsetting can be used alongside our carbon reduction initiatives.
- Continuing internal communications about the importance of the Net Zero project and engaging ways to encourage employee involvement.
- Advocated for the use of green energy suppliers to buildings in which we are a tenant.
- Promoting the delivery of sustainable projects that will help support Summit Medical employees in the delivery of net zero emissions.
- Developing an external communications plan, to support stake holders’ including website content that highlights how Summit Medical products and services support the delivery of its stake holders’ net zero ambitions.
We are aligning with the principles of the ISO14001 Environmental Management Systems standard and will review operations against the standard to identify any compliance gaps. We will continue to work with all internal departments, component suppliers and customers to understand how to better embed environmental sustainability in procurement processes and contract terms and conditions; and ensure that our own suppliers are able to demonstrate their commitment to achieving net zero by 2050.